Proviron, also known by its generic name mesterolone, is a medication that contains 25 milligrams (mg) of mesterolone per tablet. It is often sold in packs of 60 tablets. Proviron is an androgen and anabolic steroid with various medical and non-medical uses. Here’s a description of Proviron:
1. Medical Uses:
- Proviron is sometimes prescribed by healthcare professionals for specific medical conditions, such as hypogonadism (a condition where the body doesn’t produce enough testosterone). It can help increase testosterone levels in men with this condition.
2. Non-Medical Uses:
- Proviron is also used by bodybuilders and athletes for performance enhancement, particularly during the cutting phase of a training cycle.
- It is sometimes included in bodybuilding regimens to help reduce water retention and increase muscle definition.
- Some individuals may use it to mitigate the side effects of other anabolic steroid cycles, such as reducing the risk of estrogen-related side effects like gynecomastia (enlargement of breast tissue in men).
3. Mechanism of Action:
- Proviron is a synthetic androgenic steroid with weak anabolic properties. It functions as an androgen receptor agonist, which means it can bind to and activate androgen receptors in the body.
4. Side Effects:
- Common side effects of Proviron use may include mood changes, increased aggression, and oily skin.
- Proviron is generally well-tolerated, but, like all medications and steroids, it can have potential side effects, especially when used at high doses or for prolonged periods.